Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Thanks to Everyone


It's hard letting someone you love go no matter how much better off you know they are.

I'm thankful Mom was able to spend the last week of her life with Dad. Jess told me the day before she went to the hospital they were both sitting up in bed eating breakfast, told each other hi and that they loved each other.

Dad is fairing well and did amazingly well the week of all the funeral prep. He seems better than he's been in some time. His blood sugar continues to spike and some of you may not be aware that he's been diagnosed with diabetes. The medical people are giving him appetite pills which is beyond us because we never saw him refuse a meal. But they said he was losing weight...which he's put back on and we can't seems to satiate his hunger now. Ha.

He and we were glad to see many of you and since most of us didn't get to attend the reunion it was a long time since we'd been together.

Kelly, Tracy, Lindsey, and Leslie did a beautiful job singing "On the Wings of a Dove" and Cody's girl-friend, sang "Angel" beautifully. Dad's pick was "Speckled Bird" and we all enjoyed that. Chip and Tonya found "Go Rest High Upon that Mountain". All-in-all we had lots of comments that the service was very good. We were a little frustrated that they didn't turn the lights down during the slide show but it was such a small thing.
Pastor Mat Matlock had known Mom since she was 12 and spoke of his first memories of her were her riding her bicycle everywhere. He told the story of how she was only nine days old and had contacted whooping cough. Grannie had heard that breathing into people's mouths had sometimes helped them and since Mom had turned black and then white she tried it and saved her life. God had a destiny planned for her life and none of us would be here had her destiny not been fulfilled. She raised us up to know Jesus and loved us well. Jeremy Strain spoke beautiful words also, and we believe no one left the funeral without realizing life was brief and that we all need Jesus.

For all the prayers, phone calls, the cards, the visits, those who attended, the flowers and plants, thank you. Each fell like rain bestowing grace with them from family and friends and loved ones. We hope you'll have time to visit Mom's memorial. http://www2.mem.com/ContentDisplay.aspx?ID=10449830
A poem I wrote a couple of days after Mom passed is shared below:
Dear Mama
Karen Magill
7/30/09

I look to the tree tops
I look to the sky
And I wonder, Dear Mama
How Far did you fly?
How long, Dear Mother
How long will it be?
How long will be till your face I will see?

From the day that I remember
You’ve always been near.
You held me and you loved me
And you made me feel dear.
You cared and watched over
Me When I was small
You made me feel special
As I lived through life’s all.

As I grew up you taught me
That for a short while we’d part
And you told me about Jesus
Right from the start
Love Him and trust Him
We’ll all be together someday
Just hold on to Him, dear
He’ll show you the way

For the first time I’m facing
My life without you.
Dear Mama, Sweet Mama
It will be hard to do.
I can almost hear you whisper
In your comforting way
It will be Okay, dear. It will be okay.

I look to the tree tops
I look to the sky
And I wonder, Dear Mama
How Far did you fly?
How long, Dear Mother
How long will it be?
I’ll hold on to His promise that your face I will see.


We love you all and are so grateful for the loving family God has placed us in.

Karen

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful entry! And what a great looking family. Thank you for sharing that.